Answering the Dreaded Question: Where do you see Yourself in 5 Years?

Let’s be real about ‘realistic’ career goals. As a caregiver, when someone asks you what your 5-year goal is, how hard do you roll your eyes? We know having a goal for tomorrow, let alone any number of years away can be impractical if not downright frustrating when caregiving. 

So here's the deal: Your goals don't have to be etched in stone. In fact, they're more like Play-Doh – flexible, adaptable, and open to endless possibilities. Just because the world thinks you should have a neat little plan doesn't mean you have to squeeze yourself into it.

We get it; caregiving can turn even the best-laid plans into a jigsaw puzzle, missing half its pieces. But that's okay! In this section, we'll show you how to craft career goals that can bend and flex with your caregiving journey. Say goodbye to rigid plans and hello to a future that's as adaptable as you are.

If you’re trying to prepare for an interview, instead of thinking about your goals in absolutes, make them more you, more adaptable.

• In five years, I see myself exploring new ways to integrate my personal experiences into my professional life. Whether that means leveraging my problem-solving skills in a related role or finding a position that allows me to maintain a healthy give-and-take, I'm open to opportunities that align with my caregiving journey.

• While I can't predict every twist and turn in my path, in five years, I aim to achieve a balance that allows me to continue pursuing professional growth. My career goals may shift along the way, but my commitment to my professional development remains unwavering. I'll be wherever I'm needed most.

• Five years from now, I envision myself as a more resilient and adaptable individual, thanks to the unique experiences I've gained. My short-term career goals at that time will reflect this growth, emphasizing my newfound skills, and I'm excited to embrace the possibilities that lie ahead.

Clearly, we recommend taking these examples and adjusting them to your own voice. But if you use them word for word, we won’t tell anybody.