Ultimate Guide to Music Therapy & Therapeutic Music

My grandmother had tears in her eyes as the final notes of “Summertime” faded. The sweet croon of Billie Holiday prompted a story of growing up in the dust of Oklahoma in the Great Depression that I had never heard before. We shared tender moments of laughter and tears between Patti Page songs as my grandmother shared heartwarming story after story. 

Singing is a powerful conduit for reminiscence, connection, and joy. As both a caregiver and a music therapist, I wanted to address a question that I get a lot: what is the difference between music therapy and therapeutic music? 

Organizations including the Utley Foundation and the Global Council on Brain Health agree that music is a great way to improve well-being for those with cognitive decline. As a caregiver, I know your time is precious. So as a certified music therapist, I wanted to outline the ways that different types of music interventions can help your loved one with dementia or cognitive impairment. That way you can use music in the ways that will benefit you and your loved ones the most. 

What's the difference between music therapy and therapeutic music?

Music therapy is provided by a board-certified therapist to work on individualized health goals. In contrast, therapeutic music is the prescriptive use of music to promote well-being or support health outcomesWhere I work at SingFit, we think about therapeutic music as being guided and designed by a music therapist. That way you are using the right music in the best way to achieve therapeutic outcomes. At SingFit we designed a music app that uses protocols that mirrors a music therapy session. 

As a music therapist, I’ve had the opportunity to use music therapy and therapeutic music in many different ways. With my grandmother I’ve used the therapeutic music app, SingFit, to prompt reminiscence and joy. As a music therapist, I’ve provided individualized music interventions with my guitar to support anxiety reduction or rehabilitation after a stroke.

Even you, as a caregiver who may have never taken a music lesson, can access therapeutic music. Keep reading to find resources and information on how music might support you and those you care for. 

What is music therapy? 

According to the American Music Therapy Association, Music therapy is an established health profession in which music is used within a therapeutic relationship to address physical, emotional, cognitive, and social needs of individuals. Music therapists have a bachelor’s or master’s degree in music therapy and must complete a 1,200-hour internship before sitting for the national board certification exam. They must also complete 500 hours of continuing education every five years. 

Music therapists are taught the science and research behind music’s effect on the brain and body. This way they can utilize music to effectively support many health and mental health conditions. Live music with guitar or piano is often used to tailor the rhythm and feel of the music to the client’s needs. As a music therapist, I usually used the sweet tones of an acoustic guitar and small hand percussion instruments to meet the needs of pediatric and Maternity patients. 

Because music can support many emotional and health issuesmusic therapists work in many settings such as hospitals, mental health centers, senior centers, special education, hospice, drug and alcohol recovery, correctional facilities, and more. Music therapists work together with the medical team to address the whole person and provide music interventions that help the individual work towards their health goals. 

Music therapists can use singing to promote voice loudness for those with Parkinson’s or provide support for walking (gait training) after a stroke. Those with dementia may have their needs met through singing familiar music, movement, and reminiscence. Music therapists can also provide social skills training and emotional awareness for those on the autism spectrum. 

Finding a music therapist 

• Go to the American Music Therapy Association and search for a therapist in your city and state. 
    • Keep the search as broad as possible in order to find a therapist in your area.
    • Try searching in a city nearby if you are having trouble finding a music therapist in your area. 
  • Google “music therapy + city.” 
  • Email findMT@musictherapy.org or call 301-589-3300 in order to find a music therapist close to you. 
  • Make sure to double-check that they are credentialed as a board-certified music therapist before choosing a therapist.

What is therapeutic music? 

Music therapy is tailored to the health needs of an individual by a board-certified therapist and often uses live music. In contrast, therapeutic music is the use of music to promote well-being and is intended to alleviate an emotional or physical concern. 

Therapeutic music can be accessed through a digital app or playlist that is designed by a music therapist to support health outcomes. It is extremely accessible as anyone can access a digital app or playlist on their phone. Besides using music therapist-designed programs, you can also create your own playlists to validate your mood or help you relax. You can find more about creating a playlist in an article on respite music.

There are several therapeutic music apps that can help you access music in a way that supports your well-being. One such app is SingFit which was developed by music therapists to support older adults with cognitive decline.

SingFit uses singing to support language, voice, cognitive engagement, and reminiscence. This therapeutic music app trains caregivers on how to use music in a careful and therapeutic way. That way participants feel supported and successful. 

Caregivers share that SingFit is a positive and bonding experience. In fact, SingFit can be used in many settings such as singing in the car. This can help ease the stress of getting around town for caregivers of those with dementia. I’ve used SingFit with my grandmother who has cognitive decline. She enjoys singing and sharing stories with me, and I’ve noticed that her mood is better overall on weeks that we take time to sing. 

There are many avenues for receiving the health outcomes and well-being that music offers. Music therapists provide a tailored approach, using live music and specific music interventions, to promote emotional health or physical rehabilitation. 

Therapeutic music can be delivered digitally or by someone who understands how to use music to promote healing and well-being. Using a therapeutic music app can help guide the best ways to use music to support health outcomes.